Lindsay Boyd's Trip Reports


Sub 2000 Marilyns - Section 10
Glen Shiel to Glenfinnan

Beinn a'Chuirn
Beinn a'Chuirn
Druim na Cluain-airighe
Druim na Cluain-airighe
Beinn Mhialairigh
Beinn Mhialairigh
Glas Bheinn
Glas Bheinn

Section 10 Index

Section 10A
Glen Shiel to Loch Hourn and Loch Quoich
Section 10B
Knoydart to Glen Kingie
Section 10C
Loch Arkaig to Glen Moriston
Section 10D
Mallaig to Fort William
Beinn a'Chaoinich
Beinn a'Chuirn
Beinn Mhialairigh
Glas Bheinn
Druim na Cluain-airighe
Carn a'Ghobhair
Creag Bhan
Cruach Doir'an Raoigh
Sgurr Bhuidhe
Sgurr na Dubh-chreige
Sidhean Mor

Section 10 Trip Reports

Creag Bhan

21 March 2014

slide show

I had a choice of Marlyns, either Beinn nan Cabhar or Creag Bhan. I settled for the latter as my plan for Beinn nan Cabhar involved a crossing of the Allt a’Mhama and after more wet weather overnight, including wintry showers, I couldn’t check if there was a bridge over this stream as there was no internet connection at my accommodation.

The starting point was the A830 Fort William to Mallaig Road at the bridge over the Arieniskill Burn around two kilometres east of Lochailort. Road works at the bridge made it awkward getting parked on the adjacent old bridge on the north side the road. Look out for the sign for the B&B establishment, Craiglea. There was also a Right of Way Sign, not so obvious, for Meoble, 5 miles.

I followed this route which took me under the railway line and up the west side of the Allt na Criche where I disturbed several deer. The path was rough and in places flooded due to the build up of dead grass blocking egress so occasionally I used my walking poles to clear these obstructions. Despite a few snow showers the weather wasn’t bad and I made steady progress. Higher up an area of peat bog was crossed then a grassy path led to the highpoint above Prince Charlie’s Cave. I waited for another snow shower to pass through before taking a few photos of the Graham, Meith Bheinn, Loch Beoraid and towards Meoble.

Leaving this point I climbed west working my way round knolls, some bog, and crossed an old rusty fence. A small lochan was reached and this was followed by the final climb to the summit of Creag Bhan. A rock tor marked the highest point but was protected on its east side by some water and rocks and with a light covering of snow it was easier to come in from the opposite side.

I took a few photos and planned to spend some time at the summit but another snow shower engulfed the area so I set off southwards crossing some wet ground. The snow showers were now more frequent but eventually I reached the railway bridge and my car. Another vehicle had parked here since I set out but I never spotted the occupant, in fact I hadn’t seen anyone on the hills all week.

Creag Bhan first ascent 510 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Cruach Doir'an Raoigh

20 March 2014

slide show

Map - OS Landranger 40. Time taken - 3.75 hours. Distance - 6 kilometres. Ascent - 330 metres.

It was a very wet morning so I delayed my departure from my accommodation then drove along the A830 Mallaig to Lochailort Road to just south of the minor road to Arnipol. Here I located a large lay-by on the west side of the road adjacent to the Right of Way sign for Peanmeanach. The heavy rain was still falling when I set off along the Right of Way on an excellent path which passed a small quarry then descended through some trees.

The rain became more showery as the path, which was now very wet and boggy, passed Loch Dubh then crossed the railway line via a bridge. Here a sign said no vehicle traffic but it wasn’t possible to drive anywhere near the bridge. Beyond I crossed the outflow of Loch Dubh by a couple of wooden sleepers which were slippery. The path then gained some height but it was like walking through a stream with so much water around.

After around two kilometres I left this path and climbed through wet vegetation onto the south ridge of Cruach Doir’an Raoigh where there was a bit more rock. Some of the ground here was waterlogged and the rain showers now included hail. After avoiding some peat hags and bog I reached the summit cairn where I sat for a while as the cloud lifted a bit to reveal some fresh snow on the Rois-Bheinn Hills.

The return was by the ascent route although when I rejoined the path I walked west for a short distance to take in the views over Loch na Uamh and the Sound of Arisaig.

Cruach Doir'an Raoigh first ascent 292 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Carn a'Ghobhair

19 March 2014

slide show

Map - OS Landranger 40. Time taken - 6 hours. Distance - 14.25 kilometres. Ascent - 730 metres.

I parked in the car park, which was capable of taking around four vehicles, at Glasnacardoch, just off the A830 south of Mallaig, and walked along the road signposted Lochs an Nostarie and Eireagoraidh. This took me under the railway line, passed a few houses including a bed and breakfast establishment, through a gate and onto a vehicle track. The track soon came to an end and was replaced by an excellent path which led to Loch an Nostrarie where there was a picnic bench with a deer fence beyond.

A gate in the fence led to a rough and wet path with old pipes, some broken, which I presumed was Mallaig’s water supply at one time. I followed this path along the edge of the loch and on reaching the Allt a’Bhainne walked up its west bank, passed a waterfall and an old dam, to join another path which was wet and boggy. Here there was more evidence of water transfer.

The path later became rather indistinct as it crossed more boggy ground and at its highest point I left it and worked my way round several knolls to reach a grassy gully at the foot of Carn a’Ghobhais. It was then a steady climb and higher up a change of direction was required before the gully narrowed and was partially blocked by some rocks before opening out into a small sheltered hollow. Beyond it was rather windy as I walked below some cliffs where boulders had replaced the grass. A section of rock was crossed and this led to the summit. My first attempt to reach the cairn, which contained part of the old trig point, failed due to the strength of the wind but I succeeded when I came in from a different direction.

I descended initially north, located a grassy gully, then east passing to the south a small lochan where the wind was picking up the water and blowing it north. More lochans were passed and some wet ground was crossed before I climbed a grassy gully onto the south ridge of Sgurr an Eilein Ghiubhais. The wind here made for difficult walking so I worked my way round to the east side of Sgurr an Eilein Ghiubhais’s South Top (sub Highland Five) where I found a couple of sheltered gullies which I used to reach its summit. It took a bit of effort to reach the cairn as I was being buffeted by the wind.

From here I headed to the east of a small lochan then onto the east ridge of Sgurr an Eilein Ghiubhais where I had views of its north face and across Loch Nevis to Knoydart. I then climbed to the summit cairn of this Highland Five.

I returned to the south ridge and descended towards Loch Eireagoraidh keeping to the east of the Allt Eireagoraidh as it ran through a gully. Lower down I crossed this stream and headed to the west end of Loch Eireagoraidh, passed a few shielings, to where I found some shelter behind a large boulder for lunch watching the wind whip up the surface of the loch.

Afterwards it was back into the wind passing a small construction which appeared to be part of the old water system. There were a few pipes and metal covers but thankfully the thieves hadn’t reached this area as yet! It started to rain, later heavily, as I followed the path west on the north side of the An Leth-allt. I lost its line but lower down came to the deer fence so followed it until I reached an open gate then walked round Loch an Nostarie, rejoined the path used on the outward route, and followed it back to the start.

Carn a'Ghobhair first ascent 548 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Sidhean Mor

18 March 2014

slide show

Map - OS Landranger 40. Time taken - 7 hours. Distance - 13.5 kilometres. Ascent - 855 metres.

The start of this walk was the A830 Lochailort to Mallaig Road east of Beasdale Station where I managed to get my car off the road and behind a crash barrier at a bend in the road. I then set off round a gate and onto a rough path which had lots of lying and running water. The route later appeared to split so I took the lower path across some flatlands but I think it was probably a deer track as it gradually disappeared in the long grass. I therefore made my way onto the higher path and followed it to beyond an old stone dyke.

Here I left the path and commenced the ascent of Sidhean Mor. The ground was very wet with lots of large boulders and slab rock to avoid so there was a fair bit of meandering involved searching for the best route. Deer trails were followed where possible and on a couple of occasions I spotted a few of these beasts above me. Unfortunately I soon entered the cloud base which made route finding a bit more difficult. Higher up the gradient eased and the ascent continued over grassy and mossy vegetation until on the final approach where it was replaced by lots of rock. It was windy here but I located the cairn and the rock ten metres to the west which apparently was the highest point.

Before leaving the summit I crossed over to the trig point which was lower than the surrounding rock and two metres lower than the highest point I had just left. My next target was the Highland Five, Druim Comhnard to the north. The descent involved wandering though more rock then across some wet and boggy ground, disturbing a golden plover, as I worked my way round several knolls. There were old metal fence posts, remnants of a deer fence, but they weren’t of any use to me as a navigation aid as they were going in a different direction. The wind had strengthened and the earlier showers were now continuous rain.

The summit of Druim Comhnard, which was unmarked, was reached then I continued to its North Top, (Sub Highland Five) marked by a cairn before returning to Druim Comhnard. In heavy rain I descended to Lochan Feith a’Mhadaidh where there was more boggy ground to cross before climbing over some very rough ground and passed a few tiny lochans to reach the North-East Top of Sgurr Nighean Mhic Choinich. I also visited a nearby knoll which looked higher but it wasn’t.

It was then a short walk in the wind and rain to the Highland Five, Sgurr Nighean Mhic Choinnich, the summit being a flat area of grass. The rain stopped just as I arrived at this top so I took the opportunity to have a late lunch sheltering from the wind. The cloud began to lift and I had views of some of the surrounding hills as well as across to Knoydart.

After lunch I commenced the descent of the south ridge as the heavy rain and low cloud returned. There were several sheer drops so I was forced to back track a couple of times and head east before returning below the cliffs. Once clear of these rocks I descended south-west to cross a small burn which was in spate. More wet and rough ground was traversed as I continued in the same direction eventually joining the Glen Beasdale path just east of where I had left it earlier that day. Here I came out of the cloud and followed the path back to the start as the heavy rain continued.

Sidhean Mor first ascent 601 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Sgurr Bhuidhe

17 March 2014

slide show

Map - OS Landranger 40. Time taken - 5.75 hours. Distance - 11.25 kilometres. Ascent - 665 metres.

The Sub 2000 Marilyn, Sgurr Bhuidhe, was located on the north side of Loch Morar above the hamlet of Bracara and was conveniently situated for a direct ascent from my accommodation at The Byres. However instead I decided to explore a bit more of North Morar.

I walked east from Bracara along the single track road to its end at Bracorina. Here I located the path for Stoul which was initially a bit muddy as it was used by farm animals. This rough path consisted mainly of stone with areas of standing and running water which was added to by several rain showers and later sleet. The path passed to the south of Lochan Innis Eanruig then through a small gully before descending to the stepping stones between Lochans Stole and Ropach.

Some of the stones were slippery so it was a slow crossing before following the path, which was now muddy, to the Bealach nan Sac. The cloud base was lifting and I had views across Loch Nevis to Inverie, Kylesknoydart and the Corbett Beinn Bhudie although it was topped with cloud. I located some shelter from the wind to sit and take in these views but after around ten minutes the cloud lowered and there was another rain shower.

I climbed north-west working my way round various rocky outcrops to Cruach Stole. There were more rocks to avoid as I descended west before gaining the north-east ridge of Maol Mor Glac nan Cnamh. Its summit was reached but I was undecided which of two points was the highest. From here I descended west then climbed north before another change in direction to make the final approach to Sgurr Bhuidhe by its east face. Unfortunately the hill was now engulfed by cloud.

There was a small lochan and cliffs to avoid before I could reach the summit cairn and the rock just to its north which was apparently the highest point. I found shelter from the wind for lunch and waited for the cloud to lift. Unfortunately it didn’t so I initially descended south-west working my way round some cliffs until below the cloud. There were still some large boulders to avoid but things were now easier as I could see the route towards Loch Morar. The ground was rather wet and I eventually reached an open gate and crossed a field just west of a small copse of trees. Once over a wooden pallet, used as a gate, I walked the short distance along the road back to my accommodation.

Sgurr Bhuidhe first ascent 440 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Sgurr na Dubh-chreige

16 March 2014

slide show

Map - OS Landranger 40. Time taken - 1.75 hours. Distance - 3.75 kilometres. Ascent - 185 metres.

I was across on the west coast with the intention of climbing a few of the lower hills. Although the weather wasn’t looking very promising I had arranged my accommodation so there was no point in letting a bit of rain and low cloud curtail my plans. The first hill was the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Sgurr na Dubh-chreige, in North Morar.

I parked on the north shore of Loch Morar immediately west of the Allt an Loin where there was space for a single vehicle. Once dressed for the drizzle, which had been affecting the area since the previous evening, I crossed the road and set off along the vehicle track on the west side of the Allt an Loin. I soon came to an occupied house then a new wooden fence and small gate. Once beyond this gate the track, which was a bit muddy, entered an area of trees and rhododendrons where work had been carried out to remove some of these plants.

The track soon emerged from the trees and several roe deer were feeding on the grassy flatlands but they were quick to spot me and disappeared into cover. The path, marked by a few indicator posts, was very wet and muddy and in places was used by quad vehicles. On reaching the north-east side of Sgurr na Dubh-chreige I left the path, crossed wet ground and worked my way round some trees, a few which had succumbed to the wind, and more rhododendrons. Higher up there were areas of rock to avoid before I gained the summit which was unmarked. It was quite breezy here so I descended a few metres to locate a bit of shelter to sit and take in the views.

I wasn’t seated for long before the cloud lowered and it started to drizzle again so I descended east to the Allt an Loin through some rocks, trees and rhododendrons as well as more waterlogged ground. On rejoining the track I followed it back to the start.

I later saw a sign-posted route slightly to the west of my starting point. Although I never checked it out it appeared to follow a wet and boggy quad vehicle trail.

Sgurr na Dubh-chreige first ascent 197 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page


10 April 2012

slide show

Map - OS Landranger 34. Time taken -5.25 hours. Distance - 14 kilometres. Ascent - 680 metres.

I was residing in Inverness with the intention of using public transport to access the hills as I was still unable to drive as a result of an arm injury sustained at the beginning of the year.

Burach, located between Glen Moriston and Glen Mor, was on my list of unclimbed Sub 2000 Marilyns. On researching the Scottish Hills Web Site I noted that it had been climbed from both Invermoriston and Fort Augustus and therefore decided to traverse it from north to south.

I caught the 0845 Fort William bound bus alighting at Invermoriston around 45 minutes later then walked the short distance south on the A82 to visit the Thomas Telford Bridge and the River Moriston. Once I had taken some photographs I set off along the narrow public road, on the south side of the River Moriston, to Dalcataig. Beyond this property the road became a forest track as it continued along the side of the River Moriston with the A887 road to Skye on the other side.

Opposite the holiday chalets at Bhlaraidh I left the riverside track and followed the track that climbed through the Port Clair Forest crossing a couple of other tracks which ran across the hillside. On reaching the top forest track there was a clearing where the trees had been felled some time previously. I used this gap to reach the north side of Burach which involved a bit of meandering around as I searched for the easiest route through this area. At the top end of the forest there were a few trees left standing but there were sufficient gaps between them to afford me access to the open hillside.

Here the ground was a bit wet with several stunted juniper bushes interspersed with heather. It was a steady climb to the large cairn marking the summit of Burach. Despite the rain clouds passing through the area I had some reasonable views. It was a bit early for lunch so I set off along the south-west ridge, passed one of the Dubh Lochans, and climbed Carn nan Dubh Lochan. I had a quick bite to eat here as I thought it might be possible to descend to Fort Augustus in time to catch the 1500 hours bus back to Inverness.

The descent towards Allt na Criche was uneventful, although there was a rain shower. On approaching the forest I found myself on the wrong side of the stream as the picnic table, shown in a photograph on Scottish Hills marking the top of the path, was on the opposite side. I therefore crossed the stream avoiding the gorge, located the path and entered the forest.

The path through the trees was steep in places and slippery where the tree routes were exposed. There were numerous waterfalls to photograph, although eventually I gave up. The path crossed the stream and with the assistance of a few stones I was back on its west side. Lower down a recently constructed footbridge crossed the burn but it wasn’t obvious from higher up.

On reaching the Allt na Criche Car Park I followed the Great Glen Way into Fort Augustus. A couple of new bridges were under construction and signs indicated no entry, but there was no work on-going when I passed. On the latter stages I jogged a bit as the Inverness bound bus was due. Fortunately it was a few minutes late and I had a relaxing journey back to the Highland Capital.

Burach first ascent 607 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Beinn a’Chaoinich

12 June 2011

photos taken on walk

Map – OS Landranger 33. Time taken – 3.25 hours. Distance – 6 kilometres. Ascent 405 metres.

The previous day I was on Beinn Sgritheall and thereafter the Kintail Lodge Hotel celebrating a couple’s final Munro. Prior to heading home I decided to climb this Sub 2000 Marilyn, which meant re-crossing the Bealach Ratagan, not a hardship as I enjoy the drive and the views of the Five Sisters and Loch Duich.

On the descent towards Glenelg I took the road signposted Moyle, and drove into Glen More where I parked on the grass verge just west of the bridge leading to Braeside Farm. Once geared up I crossed this bridge and followed the south bank of the Glenmore River upstream. The path shown on the map was initially indistinct but soon became obvious as it was wet and muddy with cattle use.

The state of the path caused me to abandon my plan to climb Beinn a’Chaoinich via Sron Mhor. Opposite the camp site at Cnoc Fhionn, I crossed the fence and commenced the ascent of the north face of Beinn a’Chaoinich. This was through long wet grassy vegetation which seemed to cover most of the hillside. On the plus side I had improving views towards The Saddle.

The east ridge was reached and I now looked across to the previous day’s Munro. A few animal trails were followed and this led to a dip in the ridge, which was wet and boggy. A fence came in from the south and headed west across the summit area. On arriving in this area I was pleased that the weather was fine with high broken cloud as it was going to be difficult to work out the highest point in an area of bog and knolls.

At the first cairned knoll I stopped for a coffee break, to allow me to study the map and switch on my GPS to check heights. The midges were out, my first encounter with them this year. I figured that I was on the 410 knoll shown on my map but other knolls appeared higher and there were three different areas shown with a 400 metre contour line.

I did a circuit of the summit area, crossing and re-crossing the fence and wandering round the bog taking in the knolls. As well as ensuring I had been at the highest point I had better views of Beinn Sgritheall, Skye and the distant Island of Rum. The GPS showed a few knolls at 410 metres and one knoll to the north at 413 metres. I know this isn’t reliable but I thought the northerly knolls were higher. I later checked another map which showed two 410 knolls on the south side of the summit area. Well at least I satisfied myself that I had been at the highest point. On my wanderings I came across a red deer fawn lying in a dip but by the time I got my camera out it had taken fright and ran off.

The descent was in a north-easterly direction, steep in places and through bracken where I disturbed a couple of red deer hinds. Some rocky outcrops had to be avoided as I headed for Braeside Farm, which was just a few farm buildings with no house. Lower down the ground was wet and boggy and a couple of electric fences had to be crossed. Once beyond the farm it was a short walk back to my car.

Beinn a'Chaoinich first ascent 410 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Glas Bheinn

4 March 2011

photos taken on walk

Map - OS Landranger 33. Time taken - 5.25 hours. Distance - 12.5 kilometres. Ascent - 615 metres.

A couple of the hill baggers had headed home so our numbers were down to three. I had mentioned that the previous weekend I had been on the south side of Loch Alsh to climb the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Beinn a’Chuirn but hadn’t been up the adjacent Glas Bheinn. Some years ago Shona had a family holiday staying at Bernera Farm to the south of Glas Bheinn and was keen on a return visit to the area.

We drove to Bernera Farm on the Glenelg peninsula and parked just beyond the farm. Once geared up we set off up Glen Bernera on a muddy vehicle track. It soon became apparent why the track was muddy. As well as being used by farm vehicles cattle had free range. This was a concern to Shona and things became worse when we discovered that they were eating cattle cake recently spread on the track by the farmer.

On passing the cattle we entered the forest and followed the track as it gradually gained height and swung round the head of the glen. We ignored an area of open ground but as the track began to head south-east we reached another clearing, not marked on the map, and here left the track. A steep climb through bracken and heather slowed progress and with the cloud down we couldn’t see the route ahead. We came to more trees but a narrow break in the forest led to the open hillside.

Sue wanted to practice her navigation so she led us onto the south ridge, avoiding the crags, and to the summit trig point where we had an early lunch. The map also showed the name Carn Cloinn Mhic Cruimein and a Google search revealed that “nine-nines” of MacCrimmons were buried there having been slain in battle.

Occasionally we thought the cloud may lift but it didn’t. It was decided to head north-east and descend, when suitable, to the beach at Camus nan Gall. On the descent of this rocky and undulating ridge we dropped below the cloud base and had views of Kyle of Lochalsh and the Skye Bridge. The trees below had been forested and would have made walking difficult so we continued along the ridge before descending steeply through some birch trees. This led us to the south shore of Loch Alsh, just west of Ardintoul, and the Right of Way that runs from the Glenelg Ferry to Totaig.

We followed the Right of Way west to the headland at Garbhan Cosach where the path rose above the west shore of the Kyle Rhea straits. This narrow band of water, which separates the Island of Skye from the mainland, looked more like a large river as the waters moved through the narrows.

The path ended at the slipway for the ferry, which is open from Spring until October, as an alternative route to The Misty Isle. A short walk along the road returned us to Bernera Farm.

Glas Bheinn first ascent 397 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Beinn a’Chuirn

26 February 2011

photos taken on walk

Map – OS Landranger 33. Time – 3.25 hours. Distance – 8 kilometres. Ascent – 705 metres.

I was staying in Plockton so it was a reasonably short journey to Letterfearn, on the south shore of Loch Duich, reached along the single track road from Sheil Bridge, on the A87, to Ratagan and then an even narrower road to Letterfearn. Just beyond the fish farm I managed to get my car off the road adjacent to a passing place.

The start of the walk was across some wet and boggy ground followed by a short steep ascent before the gradient eased. However the underfoot conditions were rather difficult due to large areas of dead bracken.

A fence was followed and this took me to the local water treatment works where I located an old overgrown vehicle track. It soon disappeared in the bracken so I headed for and crossed the Allt an Inbhir, which was my initial plan. Immediately on the opposite bank a deer fence marked the boundary of a forest.

The deer fence soon changed direction and I climbed steadily south-west through heather and rocks as I worked my way round Coire Inbhir. Higher up the gradient eased as I walked round numerous knolls before arriving at the summit trig point.

It was rather cloudy to the south but to the west I had views of Kyle of Lochalsh and the Skye Bridge, to the north, Dornie Bridge, Loch Long and Eilean Donan Castle, and to the east The Five Sisters and with a break in the cloud The Saddle.

After a while I returned to the start by a slightly more direct route which involved a steep descent through heather and rocks into Coire Inbhir. However lower down I still had the dead bracken to walk through.

Beinn a'Chuirn first ascent 603 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Beinn Mhialairigh

18 July 2010

photos taken on walk

Map – OS Landranger 33. Time taken – 5.25 hours. Distance – 12 kilometres. Ascent – 1325 metres.

My plan was to climb the Munro, Beinn Sgritheall from the west through Collie Mhialairigh. On studying the map, and my copy of ‘The Relative Hills of Britain’, I discovered there was a Sub 2000 Marilyn, Beinn Mhialairigh to the west of Beinn Sgritheall.

I drove from Glenelg towards Arnisdale on the single track road along the north shore of Loch Hourn. Opposite Eilean a’Chuilinn I located the cairn marking the start of the path to Bealach Rarsaidh. (NG818119) Just to the west of this cairn there was a passing place where a single vehicle can be parked off road.

Waterproofs were donned before I set off up the path which was initially like a wee stream as water was running down it. The path was quite eroded, muddy in places, steep in sections and at times difficult to follow as it wound its way through bracken and silver birch trees which were growing close together. I was glad of the waterproofs as I pushed my way through this wet vegetation.

It was hard work but on looking back I had views up Loch Hourn to Barrisdale Bay. Eventually I came to a deer fence where there was a stile (NG817124) and after a bit more climbing reached Bealach Rarsaidh and its lochan of the same name. Low cloud was floating around and it was a bit windy, however I found some shelter for a coffee break.

A small cairn marked the start of the path up the west ridge of Beinn Sgritheall. The walking was relatively easy, although I was being buffeted by the wind, and there were no views due to low cloud. Higher up the path was steeper and stonier and I was a bit more exposed to the wind. There were also a couple of easy rock steps to scramble over before I reached piles of stones and a broken trig point. Due to the weather there was no point in remaining at the summit so I returned to the Bealach Rarsaidh. As I descended the cloud base rose and I had some views.

On the west side of Lochan Bealach Rarsaidh I crossed the deer fence by another stile and commenced the ascent of the west ridge of Beinn Mhialairigh, firstly climbing over Creag an Taghain where a couple of grouse took off. Beyond this small rise it was a relatively easy walk, although the deer fence had to be re-crossed on this occasion without the assistance of a stile. As I approached the summit of Beinn Mhialairigh the cloud unfortunately lowered again and the summit was engulfed.

At the summit cairn I had lunch hoping that the cloud would lift again. There were a few breaks but not for very long. This hill would be a great vantage point on a fine day especially for the views down the Sound of Sleet and across to the Isle of Skye.

I eventually gave up and returned down the west ridge to Bealach Rarsaidh followed by a descent of the path through Collie Mhialairigh to my car.

The height climbed, distance walked and time taken includes the ascent of Beinn Sgritheall.

Beinn Mhialairigh first ascent 548 metres

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page

Druim na Cluain-airighe

28 April 2010

photos taken on walk

Map – OS Landranger 33. Time taken – 4.5 hours. Distance – 13 kilometres. Ascent - 590 metres

While staying at the Old Byre, Inverie on the Knoydart peninsula we were going to climb Ben Aden by taking a boat up Loch Nevis but due to the forecast of wet and windy weather this plan was abandoned. My alternative hill was the Sub 2000 foot Marilyn, Druim na Cluain-airighe. I was joined by Fraser, Shona, Janice, Edith and Sue.

We left our accommodation and walked through the hamlet of Inverie where quite a few different building projects were ongoing. Beyond the Old Forge pub we took the track through the forest and out onto Mam Uidhe. It was dry at this time and the cloud was lifting slightly. We were geared up for the rain so it felt rather warm.

The track leading to Folach, shown on the map as Folach Gate although there is no such obstruction, was reached. Just beyond this point we left the track and climbed westwards, over some wet ground, to the north side of the twin stream, Allt nan Imireachan. The streams later split but we remained on the north bank and this took us into a corrie from where we climbed onto the rocky south ridge of Druim na Cluain-airighe. From here we had views across the Sound of Sleet to the Island of Skye.

I wandered round some knolls while others went over the tops and was surprised to find a large cairn marking the summit. Just below the summit a found an antler with six or seven points and positioned it on top of the cairn. It was rather windy here and the tops of the higher Knoydart hills were covered in cloud.

We found some shelter for a snack while the cloud came and went several times so after consultation we decided to return by the upwards route.

Druim na Cluain-airighe first ascent 518 metres.

sub 2000 marilyn index top of page